Monday, March 7, 2011

F is for Fish













I am very, very grateful for my fantastic family, friends and followers and I hope I have honoured them elsewhere on this blog so I am going with F for fish.

Fish are fascinating.  For instance, did you know that............

it is estimated that there are more species of fish than all the species of amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals put together.


there are over 25,000 identified species of fish on the earth.


starfish have no brains.
it is estimated that there may still be over 15,000 fish species that have not yet been identified.

40% of all fish species inhabit fresh water, yet less than .01% of the earth’s water is fresh water.

This map (below) shows the coral reefs of the world. I am privileged to live in a part of the world where it is really easy to access the ocean and see coral reefs and tropical fish in a pristine environment.

I think being in the ocean is the closest we can get to seeing how the world was when it was created. This is an incredible experience that I am really, really grateful for.



When I was younger and fitter I learnt to scuba dive.


These days I snorkel. In shallow reefs you see just as much. If you have never seen the Great Barrier Reef up close I hope you get the opportunity to do so one day.
The fish are AMAZING!

This is me (second from left) getting ready to snorkel off Port Douglas in 2009.


and here are some fishy photos I took that day.


2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! fins, feathers and fur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just Love the Fish..and learning So....much about who you are!

    ReplyDelete