Monday, October 3, 2011

T is for texting



I think texting is possibly the greatest step forward in communication since the telephone was invented in 1876 and before that, language itself.

With friends and family all over the world, face to face communication is just not possible most of the time. Skype and live messaging are good, but require the internet.

Texting on a mobile phone can be done basically anywhere, and any time these days (although I do draw the line at texting someone who is in the same building as you!)

Even the shortest text to someone says "I'm thinking of you." Making a phone call isn't always simple or easy. Texting is.

Perhaps I'm easily pleased but I'm grateful every time friends and family text me (especially my big sister who has taken to texting an abbreviated form of "good morning" to me in a variety of languages, just to keep me on my toes!).

I still like to spell words out and use punctuation - I'm old school- but I don't mind if others are not.

In fact, here's a list you can text me any time.

 <3                    “sideways heart” (love, friendship)
.02                     my (or your) two cents worth
2EZ                    too easy
2G2BT               too good to be true
^5                       high-five
*s*                     meaning “smile”
*w*                    meaning “wink”




No comments:

Post a Comment